How Choosing the Right Gym Clothes Affects Your Workout
Wearing proper gym clothes for your workouts is essential. Not only does it improve your performance and confidence, but it’s more comfortable than wearing your normal clothing. Learn about the benefits of wearing proper gym attire and what to look for in the best gym clothes.
Why are the appropriate workout clothes important?
There are numerous reasons why it’s important to wear the right workout clothes. Your workout gear's material, sizing, and design can make or break your exercise routine.
Here are a few key benefits of wearing the appropriate workout clothes.
Wearing the right workout gear for your exercise routine helps prevent injury. It does this in two ways:
- Improve blood flow. Workout clothes, such as leggings, often have compression designs, which help regulate blood flow. This is crucial during a workout, enhancing performance and reducing your risk of blood pressure- or heart-related issues.
- Prevent lactic acid buildup. When lactic acid builds up, it causes soreness, stiffness, and general fatigue. Compression wear keeps lactic acid buildup at bay, giving you a better and more satisfying workout experience.
Compared to everyday clothing, workout clothes tend to be less restrictive. They’re designed with several features to provide a greater range of motion. For example, yoga pants often have a gusset to improve flexibility and the material’s durability.
This is especially important for high-endurance sports, where freedom of movement makes all the difference.
Body Temperature Control
If you experience excessive sweating or spikes in body temperature, it may be a sign you need to upgrade your workout gear. The best workout clothes will feature designs or technology that help regulate body temperature during exercise. Staying cool while exercising will help you perform better and feel better.
Less Skin Irritation
Workout gear is made from materials that are easier on the skin and nonrestrictive. These materials are usually synthetic, such as polyester, nylon, and spandex. They promote breathability to curb yeast or other skin infections.
Workout clothing is designed to wick away moisture — crucial when you’re working up a sweat.
These clothes are made with porous, breathable fabrics. This allows the sweat from your skin to be drawn into the fibers and pulled to the outside, keeping you dry and cool. We especially recommend moisture-wicking workout clothes for the summertime or more extreme workouts.
The right workout clothes will protect you from the elements: sun, rain, sleet, snow, and wind.
We recommend owning at least two sets of workout clothing: one for warmer weather conditions and one for cooler weather conditions. Winter workout gear, for example, is equipped with features designed to handle common seasonal issues. It keeps you warm, dry, and protected from poor winter weather.
What kind of clothes should be worn while exercising?
For moderate to intense workouts, appropriate workout clothing is critical to your success and comfort. Key factors to look for include sweat-wicking, breathability, and durability.
Sweat-wicking and Breathable
Workout clothes with sweat-wicking properties and breathable materials are ideal. They help regulate your body temperature for a more comfortable and effective workout. A few common sweat-wicking materials include the following:
Look for workout clothes made from durable materials. This is especially important for more intense workouts, where clothing is more easily damaged.
The same materials listed above tend to be quite durable, especially synthetic ones such as nylon.
Why is it important to wear proper footwear?
It’s crucial to protect and support your feet during workouts. The best way to do this is by wearing the proper footwear for your activity of choice.
Here are just a few benefits of wearing the proper footwear:
- Offers enhanced arch support
- Keep your feet from aching
- Prevent stress on your feet and ankles
What should you not wear to work out?
Just as some clothing is designed for workouts, other types of clothing are less suited for exercise.
Avoid wearing the following types of clothing during exercise:
- Restrictive or baggy clothing. If your clothing is too restrictive, it will limit your range of motion. This can diminish your workout experience and performance. Baggy clothing can also interfere with your workout, as it may cause skin chafing or even get caught in workout machines.
- Cotton. Cotton is extremely absorbent, meaning it will absorb your sweat. This moisture will both be uncomfortable and encourage bacteria growth.
- Everyday bras. Using your everyday bras for a moderate to intense workout is a bad idea. While they may provide adequate support for your typical day-to-day activities, they aren’t designed to support your breasts during exercise. Instead, opt for a sports bra.
Picking the right workout outfit for you
At ThirdLove, we’re all about staying comfy and confident. Our Kinetic sports bra and legging are both great options for those who crave support and style while getting active. Whether it’s running errands or hitting new PRs, we’re here to help you crush your goals.
Shop all of our premium styles so you can always look and feel amazing – because your boobs (& booty) deserve the best.