5 Things to Look For in a Strapless Bra
Unfortunately, not all strapless bras are made equally. Some are built to hold up without being very comfortable, while others feel great but don't quite stay put. Our 24/7™ Classic Strapless Bra, for example, checks all the boxes: it's designed to stay firmly in place, form perfectly to your body, and offer all-day comfort.
But before we share our strapless bra tips for the next time you go bra shopping, let's quickly go over the basics first.
What Is a Strapless Bra?
This style is exactly what it sounds like: a bra without straps. It's arguably the most versatile bra you can own because it can be worn with almost every top and dress. Enjoy the same support as a regular bra without having to worry about distracting straps taking away from your look.
How to Fit a Strapless Bra
When trying on a strapless bra, keep in mind that your usual size may feel tighter than normal. In order to do its job sans straps, strapless bras are designed to fit more snug on the body. Start with your everyday bra size and adjust as needed. Some women prefer to size up in this style while others opt to stick to their usual for maximum support. As long as you're not sacrificing comfort, it's completely up to you.
How to Buy a Good Strapless Bra
1. No-slip grip: Pretty much everyone can agree that the most important feature of a strapless bra is that it doesn’t travel south. Having to constantly shimmy your bra back into place can take all the fun out of your perfect off-the-shoulder look. Opt for a bra with good silicone elastic at the cup edge and back to prevent slipping.
2. Strap options: For many of us, our strapless bra sits around waiting for a special occasion to be worn. But with detachable straps in the mix, you add versatility to your bra and can wear it more often. Look for bras that include removable straps — bonus points for those that come with more than one pair!
3. The right size cup: A strapless bra has to do a lot: stay put, support you, stay comfortable, and look smooth under your outfit. The right cup size is crucial for all of these, and our half-cup sizes can help you find the perfect fit. As customer Laura V. notes about her ThirdLove Strapless, “Half sizes changed the game.”
4. More hooks for larger sizes: Larger breasts need more support, especially when straps aren’t around to enhance stability. Look at the back closure: a good strapless bra will have a wider band and more hooks in back on larger sizes to ensure a snug and comfortable fit.
5. Comfortable boning on the sides: Boning, the inserts on a bra’s band that help it keep its structure, are necessary for support. The downside is that on many conventional bras, they can quickly become uncomfortable. Choose a strapless bra with boning that’s softly encased with quality padding, like our 24/7 Classic Strapless.
Racerback styles, spaghetti strap dresses, off-the-shoulder tops — there’s never a bad time to go strapless. And who knows — with the right bra, you may just forgo straps forever.
Additional reporting by Cathy Bishop and Nicole Yi.