5 Things To Look For In A Strapless Bra
We’re going to venture a guess that at most offices, one’s undergarments aren’t usually a topic of discussion. Chatting about weekend plans, the new coffee shop down the street, celebrity gossip… all pretty common. Your bra? Probably NSFW.
But here at ThirdLove, naturally, there’s a lot of talk about bras. We recently had a few water cooler conversations with the fervent strapless bra lovers among us—these are the women who wear a strapless as their everyday bra—which turned up some expert info about the merits of a great bra, sans straps.
Inspired by that conversation, we’re sharing our top 5 things to look for in a strapless bra:
1. No-slip grip: Pretty much everyone can agree that the most important feature of a strapless bra is that it doesn’t travel south. Having to constantly shimmy your bra back into place can take all the fun out of your perfect off-the-shoulder look. Opt for a bra with good silicone elastic at the cup edge and back to prevent slipping.
2. Strap options: For many of us, our strapless bra sits around waiting for a special occasion to be worn. But with detachable straps in the mix, you add versatility to your bra and can wear it more often. Look for bras that include removable straps—bonus points for those that come with more than one pair!
3. The right size cup: A strapless bra has to do a lot: stay put, support you, stay comfortable, and look smooth under your outfit. The right cup size is crucial for all of these, and our half cup sizes can help you find the perfect fit. As customer Laura V. notes about her ThirdLove strapless, “Half sizes changed the game.”
4. More hooks for larger sizes: Larger breasts need more support, especially when straps aren’t around to enhance stability. Look at the back closure: a good strapless bra will have a wider band and more hooks in back on larger sizes to ensure a snug and comfortable fit.
5. Comfortable boning on the sides: Boning, the inserts on a bra’s band that help it keep its structure, are necessary for support. The downside is that on many conventional bras, they can quickly become uncomfortable. Choose a bra with boning that’s softly encased with quality padding, like our 24/7 Classic Strapless.
Racerback tees, spaghetti strap dresses, off-the-shoulder tops… there’s no time quite like summer to go strapless. And who knows—with the right bra, you may just forgo straps forever.